Wednesday 18 December 2013

Evaluation: Question 2: How did you attract/address your audience? (Double Page Spread)

DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD
One way I have attracted my audience is by making the page look professional and easy to read. One way I have done this is by the layout of my text; the text has been put into columns, this makes the page look professional as all text in magazine's features pages and newspapers are put into columns. The columns also make the text easy to read which will attract my audience, because my audience are quite young, and therefore are looking for a magazine that is fun to read and so they will not want to read big chunks of text, therefore columns will suit them better. I have also used a dropped cap at the start of the article, making the article easy to read as this shows the reader that this is where the article starts, the dropped cap also makes the page look professional, because it is a convention that the audience expect to see, and therefore will attract the audience to the article encouraging them to read it.

Another way I have attracted my audience on my double page spread was by including a main image that immediately grabs the reader's attention. I decided to make the main image the size of a full page, because my magazine is targeted at young girls who will not like a page full of writing, therefore the picture makes the page more exciting and furthermore will appeal to the audience. I have also chosen a fun image that will attract the audience, because the artiste is smiling on the image and her facial expression looks happy, and as though she is having fun. This will attract the audience, because it will make the reader think that the article will be fun to read, persuading them to read the article.
I have also used a pull quote over the main image to draw the reader into the article. The pull quote is in a brightly coloured, bold font which stands out to the reader and grabs their attention. This will also attract the reader, because the bright purple links to the house style and idea that this is a 'girly' magazine, also making the target audience obvious. The pull quote also includes a well-known artiste which may also attract the audience, because they may know this singer and may be more likely to read the article because of this. The way the pull quote has been positioned on the page makes the magazine more informal, which may make the reader feel more comfortable with the magazine.


I used a bold heading to attract the audience, as this will be one of the first things the audience will read on this page. I used upper case letters for the heading to grab the reader's attention and make this stand out from other text on the page. The bright purple also helps attract my audience, because my magazine is aimed at young girls who will like bright, 'pretty' colours, like purple. The heading is positioned at the top of the page, so that it will attract the audience straight away so that they know who the article is about.


My audience will also be attracted to the double page spread by the use of a stand first at the start of the article, welcoming the audience into the story and giving a brief description. I have also used capital letters for the stand first to express the importance of the stand first to the reader, encouraging them to read this. For the stand first I used a bright pink colour which relates to pop music and attracts my audience, because the connotations of pink are: love and happiness, and pink is also seen as a 'girly' colour which will appeal to my target audience, as they are girls of a young age. I have also encouraged my reader to read the article by using ellipsis at the end of the stand first, as this draws them into the story and suggests there is much more information which will interest the audience, and suggests the interview is worth reading.



I have also included a secondary image within my columns on my double page spread which will help to attract my audience. My target audience is young girls, therefore they are looking for a magazine which is fun to read and which they will enjoy; furthermore my audience will not want a page to be full of text, suggesting that they would be looking for images to break up the text and make the page look more enjoyable to read.
The use of a secondary image will also attract the reader, because on the image the artiste is smiling, showing that she is happy. This will attract the reader, because they will judge the article on the images, and so when they see that the artiste is happy they will think that the article will be fun to read which will make them want to read the article.





I have also split up the text by including a pull quote in the middle of one of the columns. This will attract the audience, because it has successfully broken up the text making the article more fun to read. The use of a pull quote will also attract the audience, because it leads the reader through the article and gives the reader an insight to the interview before they start to read it, allowing them to be drawn in and enabling to decide if this is the type of article that they will want to read. I have made the text for the pull quote bigger than the main text to allow the reader to notice this straight away, allowing them to read the pull quote before the reading the article as a whole. I also chose to use a different colour for the pull quote (purple) so that it stands out from the rest of the text - however still following my house style - so that my audience will be attracted to the pull quote which will help encourage the reader to read the full interview.


On my double page spread, I have included a
grey box containing extra information. This will attract the audience because it includes a web address that offers the reader the 'latest news' this will also appeal to the reader, because it may include extra information about this interview and many more artistes and bands that the target audience will be interested in. The colours used for the grey box will also attract the reader, because they are bright and eye-catching and contrast with the background. This enables the reader to notice the grey box and may lead them to visit the website and read the 'latest news'.

After making my double page spread, I decided to make my page brighter by changing the background to white, also keeping to the house style making the background the same as the other pages. I also decided to add more secondary images to fill up the page and make the page look more fun for the audience to read.
On the two secondary images behind the main image I also decided to change the brightness of the images to make them different from the main image, this continues to make the main image stand out from the other images, because although it is duller it is bigger and different from the others showing the reader that this is the most important image on this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment